1. Student will apply knowledge of data collection procedures by collecting data.
There is so much I learned by actually collecting the data for this research study. From beginning to end, this whole process was pretty much new to me. I assisted in collecting data in the Milledgeville community in face to face settings and through the internet. I was able to market the survey using flyers, email, and facebook.
2. Student will display self-reliance in working independently.
I made suggestions to increase the readability of the survey. I stayed in touch with the research team through Dr. Bondal. I created and edited this blog without any assistance from outside. I came up with my own ideas of ways I could market the survey to the community.
3. Student will display professional commitment when working with members of research team.
I must admit, I was a little late with my phone calls to the research team at times. Other than that, I strived my best to be as courteous and professional as possible when I interacted with the research team.
4. Student will display ethical standards in conducting research.
People recruited to take the survey were participating voluntarily. I promise - nobody was harmed during this data collection process! Everyone was given an equal opportunity to take the survey as well.
5. Student will critically describe and evaluate research experience.
"Laura's Research Study Blog" was created when I began with this research experience so that I could share my ideas. I have demonstrated critical description and evaluation by posting to this blog.
Overall, one of the best things that I think I learned during this research process is how to use a Wiki and other Web 2.0 tools. I had heard of "wikis" during Ms. Sewell's class last semester, and had even attempted to create my own. I had to play around with navigating around the site to figure out how it all worked. At first, I couldn't figure out how to get back to what I had been looking at previously. Of course, I eventually realized that I was already using Web 2.0 tools in my every day life. And now I have a better understanding of what a big part of our lives this "Web 2.0" (which I didn't even have a valid working definition for until we were well into the process) already is and how much more it is going to be in the future.
I see a glimpse of all of the possibilities of what we can do as nurses and myself specifically, as I become an advanced practice nurse. I can only imagine me working out in the boondocks, communicating with my patients via chat rooms and email. Who knows what there is in store for us. I am excited to continue learning as I pursue my education, maybe even do a little research (OMG, did I say research?!?!).
As I learned things in my research class, I could understand the application to the real research process. It was awesome working with Dr. Bondal, Ms. Sewell, and Dr. Colvin. Too bad I never got to come to a meeting face to face. Thanks, again, to the research team, for allowing me this opportunity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment